I like to freeze time with shutters.
Thank you for stopping by my photography blog, here you will find photographs and personal ramblings from my various photo shoots & adventures.
- Nicole

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Lost in Praha: 5am nights.

(Wenceslas Square at night)
The best nights are the ones that turn into mornings. When you don't keep track of time, and before you realize it, you are on the dance floor and it is already 5am (and everyone is still going strong). If you know me, you know I love to dance, so these endless nights have been unbelievably amazing, as they are unpredictable.  I only wish I had photos to document all the incredible memories. But I never bring my camera, let alone my Iphone, so my boring ramblings will have to suffice.

Drinking here is such a normal thing, I'm still getting used to it. Being a beer country, Prague has some of the best beer I've ever had, and I don't even like beer. But for $2, why not?  Plus at the local grocery stores, the roomies and I can stock up on our house bottles for about $5-$6 each. I do hate that smoking is allowed everywhere, in all the bars, clubs, and cafes foreigners light up.  Nothing is worse than the smell of stale smoke on all of you clothes the next day, but this is unavoidable and it is my ONLY complaint.


If you are ever in Prague, some bars/pubs/clubs to check out are (in no particular order):
1. Lucerna: Went here the first (full) night we arrived with a group of CET students.  On Fridays and Saturdays it's an 80's & 90's music party all night long, and we danced & sang into the early morning.  It's an interesting mix of younger and older people, but all can appreciate the importance of good music.  Definitely a great place to go if you want to get away from that mainstream pop or techno music.
2.  Karlovy Lazne: This is a very touristy/American 5-story club that every young study abroad student is obligated to check out, at least once.  All the Czech locals hate it because it is so saturated with us young American people, but with 5 stories of dancing and music, how could we not see what it's about? It's true that the drinks are slightly more expensive (and by expensive, I mean they are about as much as a regular drink in the States.  My pricing standards have definitely dropped since coming here- more on that later!).  But they did have a "hip-hop" room and an "oldies" room, which is where our group stayed for the night.  and by "hip-hop" I mean mainstream pop/top 40's (gag).
3.  U Sudu: This underground bar is a labyrinth of mazes, and different bars and rooms for people to hang out in.  Definitely has a more chill vibe, and is the place to go to grab a couple of beers with friends.  The maze-like layout does make it a bit confusing to navigate though.
4. Nebe: Loved this place!! Kacey & I went here on a random Wednesday and had so much fun!  We ran into a bunch of people in our program and danced the night away.  The DJ played an array of good music ranging from mainstream dance songs, to hip-hop, and oldies (thank you DJ).  Drinks are again, pricey, but you can get tequila shots for 60Kc (about $3!), so it isn't that bad.  I'll definitely be back!
(Kacey, Jeff, Sophia, & I at Bukowski's for free sangria with our new furry friend!)
5. Bukowski's:  Cute little dive bar that serves free pitchers of Sangria to the ladies every tuesday! Only from 7pm to 9pm though, so get there early because it fills up pretty quickly.
6. Oko: Our closest movie theater/dive bar (yes they are connected, and you can drink while watching movies. Brilliant, I know).  This is a good place for people to grab a couple drinks and catch up with friends. I think it's amazing how integrated alcohol is here. I mean where in the states can you buy beer in the same theater you are watching a movie in, plus bring it with you? Not to mention that there are lawn chairs, bean bags, and even a car for movie goers to sit in while watching the big screen. Who thinks of these things?? Only in Europe.
7. Club Termix: Awesome little gay club with beautiful foreign (gay) men and great dance music!  It is a little intimidating at first, to notice that there was probably only 10 girls in the entire club, but it was extremely nice to be able to dance without worrying about random guys trying to dance with you. We were having so much fun here that we decided to stay until the morning, when the metro started running again. ;)

Okay, I will stop boring you with nightlife recommendations now, there is just so much to do here! These endless nights also make me appreciate the quiet nights in where we can just lounge around, cook dinner, and watch movies/tv shows with the flatmates.
(Flat 11! Rosie, me, Lenka, & Sophia cooking our first dinner together.)



No comments:

Post a Comment