I like to freeze time with shutters.
Thank you for stopping by my photography blog, here you will find photographs and personal ramblings from my various photo shoots & adventures.
- Nicole

Monday, January 28, 2013

Arriving in Europe.


My journey to Prague was unexpectedly eventful, and the transition did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. But that didn't stop my rising excitement at all. At 6am I flew out of sunny San Diego, finally on my way to the Czech Republic after a year of planning. I couldn't believe I had made it all happen on my own! 10 hours later, I arrived in Dusseldorf, Germany.



Oh Dusseldorf..You gave myself and 4 other CET students such an unwelcoming greeting.  When we landed, we were warned that 90% of all flights were cancelled due to a 24-hour strike that the airport security workers started that morning.  We arrived at 6:05 am, and after much confusion, we found out that our flight was one of the unfortunate 90%.  I mean, how unlucky were we to coincidently arrive in the exact airport, on the exact day that a strike that only lasted 24 HOURS had just begun (literally 5 minutes before we landed). We were directed to a long line of passengers attempting to change their flights, and 3 very irritated employees.  After about an hour, I had a new boarding pass for a flight at 9am. That's pretty good right? However, the lady who issued my pass failed to scan my baggage tickets. And after asking her numerous times, she assured me that this was not needed.  Of course, the rest of the CET kids got their tickets scanned, so I went back to ask her AGAIN. And she still wouldn't scan it, telling me that my baggages were indeed on my plane.. Oh and our new flight was delayed an extra 2 hours.

After 6 more long hours, we finally arrived in Prague, tired but anxious to begin the next chapter of our lives. Not to my surprise, my baggages did not make the journey with us, and I found out that they actually boarded a plane to Munich, Germany instead.  Yeah, thanks lady.  Long story short, I didn't have any of my belongings (except for the clothes I was wearing and my carry-on's) for two days. YAY PRAGUE!!





On a happier note, my flat is so adorable and spacious!! Plus it came stocked with wi-fi, appliances, cleaning supplies, and everything else essential to a new apartment. I absolutely love it, and my flatmates too.  We have such a great dynamic, and we all get along amazingly.  I share a room with Lenka, our local "Czech Buddy," and she is one of the nicest girls I have ever met. She is so helpful to the rest of us who know close to nothing about the city.  Without her, we would have no clue how to use the metro, or what stop to get off at, how to read the labels on all of our groceries, let alone where to find the market, and well you get the idea. Basically, we are forever grateful to have her in our flat!  And my other two roomies are Sophia and Rosie, who are the perfect gals to get lost in the city with.  Not to mention Sophia shares my deep obsession with tea.  Already, we have had numerous unforgettable experiences, and it has only been the first weekend. :)

Cau!! (Good-bye)

No comments:

Post a Comment